Thursday, April 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Peeves

A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday. BTT interviewed their readers for a change, and their final question was, “What question have they NOT asked at BTT that you’d love them to ask?” They got some great responses and will be picking out some of the questions from time to time to ask the rest of you. Like now.

Bookish Sarah asks:

What are your literary “pet peeves”?

I don't really have many pet peeves when it comes to books.  But I think the most one I have is when characters are really really pathetic, like seriously pathetic.  Too clingy can't do something without someone else.  I know you know what I mean and my best example has to be ... (don't have me cause I love the books but it annoys me) Bella from Twilight.  She's just too damn needy and pathetic.  Just my opinion.  Characters like that, they irritate the hell out of me.  Anything else I'm good with.

I love a good love triangle, and any drama or fights or gore I'm all in there but pathetic women who seem like they are nothing without a man, yeah my independent woman inside just can't handle it.  Ha.  What's your pet peeve?




14 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, yes, definitely! I'm not good with neediness...especially when it doesn't let up.

And I didn't mention this one, but teenagers that are so annoying you want bad things to happen to them...lol

Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

Gigi Ann said...

I agree, sometimes I just say "enough already" get over it.

wrathsqueen said...

Too much neediness and you just lose all respect for that character.

Anonymous said...

i totally agree.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/04/booking-through-thursday_19.html

Unknown said...

Bella isn't my favorite female character as well. I don't get it why Ms. Meyer build her persona that way. She should have been stronger and more independent. Thanks for stopping by blog!

Anonymous said...

Ohh I totally agree! The overly pathetic is just too much. When I read Mockingjay, at one time, I was somewhat annoyed with Katniss and how she was handling the whole Peeta situation. Thanks for stopping by my blog A Great Escape

Just Another Teenage Bookworm said...

I totally agree. Not just about needy characters sucking the fun out of a book, but about Bella Swan, too :')

Thanks for stopping by my BTT.

Katy B said...

Thank you for saying it out loud (or writing it anyway) about Bella! If only more young women like yourself would see her that way instead of thinking she's some iconic character. Puke.
Mine is at http://katybrandes.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/pet-peeves-10/.

Moniquereads said...

Agreed. Bella is a prefect example, and I thought the same thing when I first read Twilight.

Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.

Reading Kelly said...

I completely agree with your pet peeve and about Bella! Thanks for stopping by my BTT. Happy reading!

Unknown said...

Haha, I loved Twilight but I know what you mean about Bella.. I wanted to slap some sense into her sometimes..

Hazel said...

I love Twilight too but well, Bella, I understand. Reminds me of a film wherein the hero tells the heroine, "the problem with you princess is you always need rescuing." ;)

Bibliosaurus Text said...

I so agree with this! Along those same lines is when the conflict in a book is the result of the main character just being stupid and bringing it upon him or herself. I hate those.

Unknown said...

Love your answer!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

New follower via GFC and Linky!!

Valerie @ Intriguing Reads