Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This feature is great because everyone loves lists, including me.

This week's Top Ten is:

Top Dystopian Books

A dystopia (or alternatively cacotopia) is a fictional society, usually portrayed as existing in a future time, when the conditions of life are extremely bad due to deprivation, oppression, or terror. Science fiction, particularly post-apocalyptic science fiction and cyberpunk, often feature dystopias. Social critics, especially postmodern social critics, also use the term "dystopian" to condemn trends in post-industrial society they see as negative.In most dystopian fiction, a corrupt government creates or sustains the poor quality of life, often conditioning the masses to believe the society is proper and just, even perfect. Most dystopian fiction takes place in the future but often purposely incorporates contemporary social trends taken to extremes. Dystopias are frequently written as warnings, or as satires, showing current trends extrapolated to a nightmarish conclusion. (referenced from here)

With that said - here are my top ten Dystopian Books
1.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I get chills every time I see the trailer for this movie, I cannot wait for it to come out.

2. The Uglies by Scott Westerfield - really great series, I was with the main character the whole way through.

3.  Divergent by Veronica Roth- I know I've only read the first one but I just feel it's going to be fabulous.

4.  1984 by George Orwell - a classic and the first dystopian society book I've ever read, sure it was for school but it was still a great book.

5. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley another classic and also read in school with a great story.

6.  Matched by Allie Condie - a great story and can't wait to see how it ends

7. The Host by Stephanie Meyer - I hear there is a second one coming out, I can't wait to see what happens becuase the first story even thought it started out slow ended really well.

8.  Shatter Me by Tehera Mafi - I just recently read that and this one also started slow but then we got into some action and really great characters.

9.  The Time Machine by HG Wells - classic.

10.  Incarnate by Jodi Meadows - Literally just finished reading this book and I need to know how Jonan is, very crazy.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I love Shatter Me, HG, and Divergent! And I really need to get my hands on a copy of Incarnate. I've heard so many amazing things! Great list!
My top nine epic fantasy series

Jennifer said...

I love Hunger Games and Divergent! I really want to read the Uglies...sounds super intriguing!

Jennifer @ Feminist Fairytale Reviews
http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-17-historical-romances.html

Bekka said...

Matched <3
The only thing about that book is that I wish it would focus a little more on The Society than just the romance. But I love it all the same.

My TTT

Karis Jacobstein said...

Finally someone has 1984 and A Brave New Wold on their Dystopia list! I was getting frustrated, lol! Great list!

Check out YA Litwit’s Top Ten Fairy Tale Retellings and my GIVEAWAY!

TP said...

Great list! There are several on here that I haven't read, so I'll have to check them out. I read #1 & 3 - and agree - loved 'em!

Tanya
Girlxoxo.com