Thursday, March 15, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday.

Today's question is:
Have you ever used a book to instruct someone of something or is there anyone for whom you would like to do that? (I don’t mean a text book for a class, but a work of fiction or non-fiction that would get a certain message across either through plot or character). What is the book and what do you wish to impart?


I have never personally gave anyone a book to try and get a point across or a meaning across to them.  but I have read books for my last job that was given to us to help with changes that were going on in the company as well as just more enthusiasm.  The books were actually good.  Here are two of my favorite that I think about sometimes from time to time.

Fish! A Proven Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
By: Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul, John Christensen, Ken Blanchard

Release Date: March 8, 2000
 
This book showed you how the guys at the famous Fish Pike market enjoy their work and how you too can enjoy your work.  The fictional manager is charged with the responsibility of turning a chronically unenthusiastic and unhelpful department into an effective team.

It was a fun quick read that everyone in the company read. Another great book was Who Moved My Cheese by



7 comments:

Reading Kelly said...

We watch the Fish movie at work! It's a great story. I've never really given a book to teach someone something though. You can see my full BTT response here

Gigi Ann said...

I' ve never given a book to anyone to teach them a lesson about something. I do give my books away or share them, but they do the choosing of which books they want to read.

Aishah Waheed said...

That's a really good BTT..i may use when I start work as well :)

Marie Cloutier said...

OMG my old company gave us that book, too. LOL

Anonymous said...

It's a good question.

here's mine:

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/booking-through-thursday_15.html

Eva said...

I think most author has some point they want to get accross, but if it's well done it shouldn't feel like a lesson.

Faith said...

I'll have to find these books at the library! Great post!

Here's my BTT: http://blueeggbooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/booking-through-thursday_16.html