Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: Drink Deep

Drink Deep
By: Chloe Neill
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Series: Chicagoland Vampires

Description:
Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven't been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lay low for a bit, and let the mortals calm down.

That's when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch black-and things really start getting ugly.
Chicago's mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for vampires and humans alike.

Review:
This is the fifth installment to the Chicagoland Vampires series, and it did not disappoint.  Last we left off our beloved Master of Cadogan House was killed.  That in itself was a shocker to all fans, because really how can you have Merit without Ethan?  Which brings us to Drink Deep.  In this book Merit is trying her hardest to get over Ethan and move on, but it's not as easy as it sounds.  Especially when weird things start happening around Chicago.  First the lake turned black - could it be the nymps?  Then the Sky turned blood red - could it be the fairies?  Then the earth shook and mountains erupted through the street - who could be doing this?

Throughout the whole book you see Jonah's admiration for Merit grow to where they even shared a kiss, but alas it's too soon for Merit but that's not to say the kiss wasn't amazing.  I almost feel bad for Jonah because really how could he compare to a Master.  He likes Merit so much but there is no reciprocation and they agree to keep things platonic.  But they still have to work together, with Ethan gone he is now Merit's partner for all intents and purposes.  She rolls the idea in her mind of joining the Red Guard now that she has no ties to anything (I will not spoil how that happened because you just have to read it).  I think something more will happen between the two, I almost hope for it, just to cause a little more drama.

I don't want to give too much away because I know sometimes when I read reviews it gives some aspects of the books I wish I discovered on my own.  Let's just say it gets very hectic before it gets quite in the end.  There were some parts I knew were going to happen and others I was pleasantly surprised.  The reunion at the end wasn't enough for me though.  I needed, no, I wanted to have more.  I needed it to be taken slowly and not rushed to finish the book off.  But all in all I'm happy and I can't wait to see what happens next! Watch out, cause they are going to find you wherever you are!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear, I think I really have to get this book. I can't count the number of blogs this made a hop on and all of it are good reviews! You finally convinced me!

Lindsay Cummings author said...

good review! seems like you enjoyed it alot :)

here's my review of catching jordan! stop by?!

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/arc-review-catching-jordan-fun-read.html