Thursday, December 15, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Character or Plot


A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday.

Today's question is:

What’s more important to you? Real, three-dimensional, fleshed-out fascinating characters? Or an amazing, page-turning plot? (Yes, I know, they are both important. But if you had to pick one as being more important than the other?

Answer:
You know this is really hard because they really do go together and they both need to be good to make a successful book.  I've heard some people say oh the plot was great but the characters weren't relatable.  I think in my opinion even though the plot is predictable or so basic and not as fabulous as let's say The Hunger Games that it makes it all worth it if you have some amazing characters that you can connect with.  I think the characters are more important because if you don't like them then y ou are not going to continue to read about them.  Plus even if the plot is not good at least maybe the character will make you laugh or cry or really just feel anything.  So I go with Character!

8 comments:

DawnTreader said...

I agree. If I really like a character I'll probably finish a book even if the plot is not great. If I don't like or am not intrigued by any of the characters then I lose interest.

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

Hm, for me it doesn't matter how fascinating the characters are, I'm not going to enjoy the story if the plot bores me.
Here's my answer.

Have a lovely day!
Vicky
Books, Biscuits & Tea

Anonymous said...

Good answer!
Here’s my Booking Through Thursday post. :)

Monique Cherie said...

i do dissagree, but you answer is alot more thought out then mine hahaha, great post i love the way your head works!http://thebookmystress.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday-9-character-or.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I think you made a really good case for the importance of characters...and I totally agree.

Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST and
MY WEBSITE

Anonymous said...

I'm for the plot.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday_15.html

Gigi Ann said...

I agree with you, I recently tried to read a book that I found the character boring, and the plot was going nowhere. Needless to say, I never finished it. I wondered if it was just me or if others found this book boring. I looked up some reviews and found most everyone disliked this book. So that helped me decide not to finish reading it.

Melissa Wiebe said...

I can see where you coming from, even if I disagree with you. Here is mine.