Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: Pride & Popularity

Pride & Popularity
By Jenni James
Release Date: July 13, 2011
Series: The Jane Austen Diaries

Chloe Elizabeth Hart despises the conceited antics of the popular crowd, or more importantly, one very annoying self-possessed guy, Taylor Anderson, who seems determined to make her the president of his fan club! As if! Every girl in the whole city of Farmington, New Mexico, is in love with him, but he seems to be only interested in Chloe.

This modern high school adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice” is a battle of wits as Chloe desperately tries to remain the only girl who can avoid the inevitable—falling for Taylor.

Review:
So I had the fortunate experience of winning this through Good Reads.  Of course I had my kindle so I didn't have time to read any of the books that I've won lately but alas my lovely five year old literally broke my kindle so off the shelf my books have started to come one by one, which is a great thing.  I've missed holding books.  Anyway on to the review...

Pride & Popularity was a really great fast read with a very familiar theme.  This is a modern version of Jane Austen's amazing book Pride and Prejudice.  Which let me just say I personally love this plot and theme and will always read a book about it just to see how they changed it up.  So we meet Chloe (Elizabeth) Hart who absolutely cannot stand the very popular Taylor (Darcy) Anderson, but he can't help but flirt with her and make her wonder about him.  She had just moved from a different town where she tried to let her guard down with a boy but he turned out to just humiliate her so she vowed not to let that happen again.  That's when she meets Taylor, but that was 3 years ago.  Now they are seniors and she still can't stand him and he can't stop flirting/bothering her.  He wears her down throughout the whole book, she just can't stop wondering why he is doing the things he is doing.  Her two best friends are constantly trying to tell her that hey maybe he really does like you.  Impossible is all Chloe can think. 

It was great to have a lot of conversation in a book.  I think conversation is very important, yes I want to know what you're thinking and how you're feeling.  But there is nothing like a heated conversation between two people where you can just feel the sparks coming off of them.  That is what Chloe and Taylor have and everyone can see it.  I think I would definitely read the book again just to relive their conversations.  There was this one part in the book where Taylor's best friends sister is reading off a list of what he wants his perfect girl to be.  Which everyone hopes it's them because everyone wants Taylor.  The description Emma gives is exactly how I saw Chloe and my heart just rang out like yes he is so in love with her, but she just can't see that.  I loved it.  This book was great, can't wait to read the next book in the Jane Austen Series.

1 comment:

JenniJames said...

Wow! Thanks for leaving such an awesome review! You rock! :)

Jenni