Thursday, December 1, 2011

Booking through Thursday - Mood Reading


A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday.

Today's question is:

Do you find that your mood affects the things you read? Like, if you’re in a bad mood, do you tend to indulge in reading that will support it or do you try to read things that will cheer you up? Do you pick different types of books on dreary, rainy days than you do on bright sunny ones? For that matter, does your mood color what you’re reading, so that a funny book isn’t so funny or a serious one not so deep?

I do believe that moods affect everything we do, it affects the books we pick up, the TV we watch, the music we listen to and they influence new moods as well.  Usually if I'm in a bad mood I won't read I'll just watch TV.  But if everything around me is insane and complete chaos and all I want to do is escape then I will definitely pick up a book.  It's been so busy with the holidays that I haven't had much time to read but I'm pushing forward trying to, as soon as these holidays are over (and I have my new Kindle Fire) I will be back on the ball again.  It's been tough though.  So my mood has been busy hectic and crazy with no time to read.

But back to the question at hand, yes I pick books depending on my moods sometimes.  Especially if I want to go to a happy place then I will have to read something super cute and fast that will get me all giddy inside, with much much swoonworthiness, such as Anna and the French Kiss or Going too Far.

How about you - are you a moody reader?

3 comments:

Claire said...

I totally agree with you about not trying to read when life gets chaotic. Sometimes you have a free couple of hours and can escape into a book, but its horrible to have started something great and not get a chance to finish.

My BTT post is here and I'm also holding a giveaway here :)

Anonymous said...

I like to finish what I am reading at the time, so mood doesn't influence me.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday.html

Anonymous said...

I've never really noticed mood affecting my reading...
Here’s my Booking Through Thursday post. :)