Thursday, January 14, 2016

Review: Wild Crush by Simone Elkeles

Wild Crush
By: Simone Elkeles
Release Date: September 22, 2015
Series Wild Cards #2

Description:
When the only girl you want is the one you can't have... 

Bad boy Vic Salazar breaks all the rules except one: Don't make a move on your best friend's girl. It’s a Guy Code that Vic lives by. It doesn't matter that he's had a crush on her for years. Monika Fox is off limits. 

Monika has a secret of her own and when a tragedy throws her and Vic together, the only boy she trusts is the one she shouldn’t confide in. Vic. 

As Vic struggles to keep his distance, and Monika struggles with her secrets, will their wild connection violate every rule both vowed never to break—about relationships, about friendship, about love?

Review:
Oh how I’ve missed Simone Elkeles and I’ve been waiting for her book forever and a day (yes I know it came out in September but I’m just getting around to it).  I was happy to see it in my To Be Read pile (or list since I’m all about the Kindle).  I needed a little Latino reading, can’t beat my Latino men and Victor was just perfect.  I loved him from the first book and was so happy to read more about him in the second book in this series.

Victor the bad boy who feels as if he isn’t worth anything because that’s what he’s been told throughout his whole life, throw in the fact that he’s in love with his best friends girlfriend and things just keep getting worse for him.  Its hard hiding your true feelings to other people but it seemed like that happened a lot in this book.  Its difficult being a teenager, I remember the days and it’s even harder when there are real life situations happening around you and you just don’t know how to handle them the right way because you won’t open up. 

I got a lot of that from this book, there were so many secrets floating around that if you just opened up and were honest from the get go then maybe things could have turned out differently.  It’s crazy really you know that whole sliding door theory really is true.  Anyway back to the story.  It didn’t disappoint, there was a bit a drama, a bit of shockness, some intimate moments and good old fashioned high school pranks going on.  The characters are all back and better than ever, some obviously better than others.  I don’t really want to spoil the book for anyone so I can’t really say too much about what happens but it was good.  You will enjoy it.

I love the cover, think it’s super cute and sexy at the same time.  Victor Salazar is sweet under all that tough exterior and Monika is a good girl but she needs to be real with herself, let everything go and you will be free.  There are a lot of underlying messages in this book that young adults really need to take a look at.  If someone asks you to keep a secret, if it’s not beneficial to them maybe it shouldn’t be kept a secret.  Just saying! Save lives not help destroy them. There is also a good message of self-worth, you have to give that to yourself first before anyone else can and even when you don’t think you have anyone there is always someone there for you, just open your eyes and you will see. 


I really enjoyed this book, and read it rather quickly too.  Love the cover, the characters, the situations and the writing itself.  I would recommend this book and you don’t even have to read the first one to read this one.  Oh I did find something that was cute today that I had no clue about … here is a little movie about the first book.  Check it out it will help you put the characters into the authors perspective and check out more about the first book.


No comments: