Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Review: Dante's Girl

Dante's Girl
By: Courtney Cole
Release Date: June 24, 2012

Description:
I have spent every summer since I was ten years old with my father in London. Every summer, since I was ten years old, has been uneventful and boring.
Until this year.

And this year, after a freak volcanic eruption strands me far from home, I have learned these things:

1. I can make do with one outfit for three days before I buy new clothes.
2. If I hear the phrase, “You’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto,” even one more time, I might become a homicidal maniac.
3. I am horribly and embarrassingly allergic to jellyfish.
4. I am in love with Dante Giliberti, who just happens to be the beautiful, sophisticated son of the Prime Minister of a Mediterranean paradise.
5. See number four above. Because it brings with it a whole slew of problems and I’ve learned something from every one of them.

Let’s start with the fact that Dante’s world is five light-years away from mine. He goes to black-tie functions and knows the Prime Minister of England on a first name basis. I was born and raised on a farm in Kansas and wear cut-off jeans paired with cowboy boots. See the difference?

But hearts don’t care about differences. Hearts want what they want. And mine just wants to be Dante’s girl.

My heart just might be crazy.


Review:
I really enjoyed how this story began with the volcanic ash ruining flights in Europe. I remember hearing about that on the news forever and it's so interesting that the author went ahead and went even further with this and showing what happened to one person during that time period.  Of course it was all very fantastical and definitely fiction but still lit was a fun ride.

We meet Reece who is in Amsterdam and is on her way to London to spend the summer with her father.  But that's when the volcano explodes and there is ash everywhere making planes impossible to fly.  She runs into this guy in the airport before they land and he's even on her flight.  There's a spark between the two and they start talking.  Then the explosion happens and he's evacuated and takes her along with him to a private jet and his home.

Turns out he's the son of the Prime minister of a small island.  He's pretty much royalty and she's smitten.  But they are from different worlds, she's from some farm town in Kansas and he's from paradise.  She is just a normal average American he is the son of a foreign Prime Minister.  But even with all their differences there is an undeniable attraction.  Dante is constantly reminding Reece that his life is very complicated but she still doesn't want' to think about it, she just wants him.

She stays in his country and starts working as an intern on his family's olive grove.  There she befriends Mia even more and they have a great time together.  Dante and her grow closer and closer.  There's some drama thrown in and some great situations arise.  The scenery sounds amazing and I almost wish I was there minus the sharks and jellyfish scenarios though lol.

Overall this was a cute book.  Familiar plot but still well written and completed.  The cover is cute too, wanted a little more but I liked where the story went and how it ended. 

No comments: