Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl
By:
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Series: Confession

Description:
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude.)


Review:
Louise Rozette's story is refreshing and realistic.  The emotions one feels when something bad happens to a family member is always different for everyone.  With Rose it was anger, and she was just angry at everything and anything.  I couldn't put this book down the story captivated me from beginning to end.

We meet Rose entering high school, no one said high school was easy to begin with, but add on the fact that her father died during the summer and her friends were starting to change and all chaos breaks lose.  We start out with six friends, there's Tracy and Matt and Stephanie and Mike and then there's Rose and Robert (the only two who weren't a couple but Robert wanted to be with her, she just doesn't like him like that).  Matt and Mike start hanging out with the older kids from the swim team. Tracy decides to become a cheerleader and there in lies the downfall of all their friendship.

When other people get involved and start to tear them all apart Rose begins to lose herself.  She befriends her crush from three years ago, who is still a crush and something happens between them, but he's dating one of the cheerleaders.  The meanest one of course which starts harassing Rose. 

Everything begins to spiral here, Rose tries to save a friend and instead is made an outcast.  Her crush follows her and he wants to but he doesn't want to but he can't because he's with the cheerleader and Rose is too young because he's older.  Her best friend has betrayed her, her friend Robert has finally realized that they will never be together and he leaves her.  She's all alone with no one to turn to.

It's all very emotional and there are many times where i just wish I could go and give Rose a hug because really she's only doing the right thing it's everyone else that has their priorities out of sorts.  But I know that what goes around will come right back around.  Her mother finally breaks down and shows that she is still in there and not just a shell, her brother tries to be there for Rose too but it's hard when he's in college and really doesn't want to be there at home where the reminder of their father is. 

By the end of the book after the roller coaster ride of emotions and events the cheerleader is still after hurting Rose and keeping her away from Jamie, but Rose is determined to make something happen with him.  That's what brings us to the second book, and now I can't wait until next year to continue the adventure that is Rose and her angry attitude.  It's going to be great. 

The characters were delightful because I can totally relate them to people in my lives, it's really true people change with their surroundings.  The writing was great and real, the story was well written and thought out, like I said I was literally captivated and could not put the book down.  I hope to read a lot more from this author.  (PS being from Jersey and all the whole Jersey shore stuff I love that this book is full of Italians and at one point one is called a guido lol, I'm not Italian but I could appreciate it ha)

Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Harlequin, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: