Monday, September 11, 2017

Review: Fraternize by Rachel Van Dyken

Fraternize
By: Rachel Van Dyken
Release Date: September 12, 2017
Series: Players Game #1

Description:
Emerson just made her dream come true as a professional cheerleader for her favorite pro football team. But even though the plus-size athlete is breaking down boundaries, she still has to contend with the massive rulebook. Carbs? Nope. Chocolate? Definitely not. Still, Emerson loves her curves, and she’ll rock the hell out of this job even if it kills her. Except for one mandate that is easier read than done…

No fraternizing with the players.

Problem one is Miller Quinton: Emerson’s first love, first sex, and the guy who still ignites her daydreams and R-rated fantasies. Thrown back together, Miller and Emerson feel the undeniable pull of passion again, even if the conflict that tore them apart seems insurmountable. Then there’s way-too-sexy Grant Sanchez. He has a serious reputation with the ladies, and when it comes to winning someone he wants, he doesn’t let anyone stand in his way.

Now Emerson is breaking every rule in the manual. But what she doesn’t know is that she’s part of a wicked little game—one that could steal both her dream and her heart.
 

Review:
So I’ve seen this author around for a while and have always wanted to pick up one of her books and I’m so thoroughly thrilled that I finally had the chance.  Rachel Van Dyken is quite addicting, this book was nothing what I expected.  I didn’t think it would flow the way it did but I was pleasantly surprised.  Definitely a book you should pick up, because it’s worth it.

We meet Emerson and Miller during their high school years through flashbacks, which I love because sometimes you just need a little bit of history thrown in to make that story that much more powerful.  The two were inseparable but things happened and as you can imagine they grew apart.  Fast forward a couple years and here they are face to face again, both still very hurt but both still very much loving each other.

I don’t want to give too much of the plot away because really you have to read it.  Just throw in a really hot new player into the mix and this love triangle gets more and more interesting each page you turn.  There was a lot going on this book, not only the romance throughout but also the different forms of friendship, comraderies, strong connection for being on a team, family issues and even bullying.  This book touched a little bit upon all of that.  Also status in life, where someone had more than the other, that’s always a tough subject matter as well. 

I enjoyed Emerson’s story, I felt for her throughout the book she became a real person to me and I could relate to the character as well as ride the different waves of emotions she was going through.  Again it really didn’t end up like I thought it would like every other typical romance or contemporary I’ve ever read but I was really pleasantly surprised.  Sometimes you don’t’ really meet your true love in high school, sometimes things have to happen for you to experience life and then things seem to fall into place during the hardest time in your life.


I wholly enjoyed this book.  The cover is absolutely eye catching, after all who doesn’t love a good love triangle?  The story was amazing and had me so hooked that I had to finish it within 24 hours, I stayed up real late for this one but I couldn’t put it down.  The setting is great, football players, cheerleaders, best friends, new friends and life experiences with realities of family thrown in to make it just that much more realistic.  Must read. I want to talk more about the book but don’t’ really want to give too much away.  


Disclaimer:

I received this book from NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: