Friday, May 3, 2013

Review: Dare You To

Dare You To
By: Katie McGarry
Release Date: May 28, 2013
Series: Pushing the Limits #2

Description:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....


Review:
I didn't think it could get any better but it definitely did.  Katie McGarry sucked me into her world of pure ache and need for trust and understanding.  She bought me back to Echo and Noah, but bought more intensity in the relationship between Beth and Ryan, and I just KNOW that the next book will be even stronger than this one because that's how the series has gone so far and it has been amazing.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end.

We meet Beth as she is trying to save her mother from herself and her abusive boyfriend, but things get turned around and she is the one in trouble, with this being the last straw her aunt decides to bring in her uncle.  He's tried to support her as much as he could especially when his brother, her father couldn't do it, but he went to live his life for a while and din't come back until now.  And during that time is when Elisabeth became just Beth.  Taking her to his hometown she is given the chance to start anew, but is it something she even wants?  She meets Ryan here, with a chance meeting before this, and bam there is a connection.  It's almost love hate at first, but the love may be stronger than the hate.

There is definitely a good fill of teen angst, indecision and just a very strong need to have a connection, or more like feel the need to deserve a connection.  The two of them, Beth and Ryan, are literally complete opposites, but they really do have more in common then they think.  No one is perfect and especially no ones family is perfect.  Sure some are screwed up more than others but the only thing that matters is what you do with that experience.  Ryan struggles to find himself and tries to be independent from what is family wants, while Beth has to learn to let go, let go of her family and of her past.  Which includes Isaiah. 

The adoration they feel for one another is very strong, but Beth being who she is cannot help but constantly try and run away from him and just any intense feelings in general.  This makes their relationship more exciting because there is a struggle between what they want and what she believes should happen.  There is a lot of family issues, drug issues, relationship issues and of course friendships that are tested throughout the book.  This is definitely something you need to pick up and read, and it can definitely be a stand alone, but why wouldn't you want to read about Echo and Noah. 

The author does an amazing job, with great writing and emotion that I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next.  It has been a pleasure reading this book and I'm still emotionally rollercoastered from this book and their experience together.  I just want to strangle and shake some characters in the book and others I just want to hug them until they feel it.  That's how great the book was.  Let me also add how much I love this cover, I can completely see Ryan in the guy on the cover, and Beth too but more him than anything.  And it too is just as intense as the book, go read it!

Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Harlequin, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: