Thursday, June 23, 2016

Review: Happily Ever Ninja by Penny Reid

Happily Ever Ninja
By: Penny Reid
Release Date: January 19, 2016
Series: Knitting in the City #5

Description:
There are three things you need to know about Fiona Archer… I would tell you what they are, but then I’d have to kill you.

But I can tell you that Fiona’s husband—the always irrepressible and often cantankerous Greg Archer—is desperately in love with his wife. He aches for her when they are apart, and is insatiable when they are together. Yet as the years pass, Greg has begun to suspect that Fiona is a ninja. A ninja mom. A ninja wife. A ninja friend. After fourteen years of marriage, Greg is trying not to panic. Because Fiona’s talent for blending in is starting to resemble fading away.

However, when unexpected events mean Fiona must take center stage to keep her family safe, her response stuns everyone—Greg most of all. It seems like Greg’s wish has come true. 

Except… not. 

When all is said and done, can Greg handle this new version of his wife? Will his irrepressible cantankerousness push her away? Or can the couple find a way forward without either being forced to step back into the shadows?

This is a full length, 100k word novel, and is the 5th book in the Knitting in the City Series. All books in the series can be read as a standalone except book #1.5

Review:
Initially reading about Greg and Fiona is what made me interesting in this series and this author.  I thought her mini novella about the two of them was the cleverest writing I had seen in a while and it had me laughing and relating to them in many ways.  It was these two that made me fall in love with this series so when I finally got the chance to read the entire book about them I couldn’t help but love them even more as adults.

We continue the series with Fiona and Greg, who have been spending quite some time apart due to his job.  It is tough being a grown up and having to do grown up duties, but it’s even harder when it’s only one of you because the other is away.  I completely sympathize with Fiona because there were months where I would only see my significant other on the weekends, and it’s tough when you have two kids, which Fiona just happened to have.  But she’s a tough person, after all she’s a ninja!  Somethings begin to take its toll on her and she doesn’t know why but when something happens to Greg and she has to go and rescue him, ninja Fiona goes into action.

This book had intrigue, drama, real life situations, real life emotions and just a little bit of everything to pique your interest.  The ninja aspect of the book was wonderful to read, no she’s not a ninja but she might as well be, but she is close enough.  I loved all the action sequences and even some of Greg’s pigheadedness.  I know he’s just trying to protect his wife and his family but really sometimes you have to give your significant other the benefit of the doubt and help each other out.  I think that was a major lesson in this book.  Trusting in each other that sometimes it’s okay to ask for help or need someone.  It’s also nice to hear from time to time.  I need you, those are some powerful words.  Sometimes even more powerful than I love you.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Even the bits and pieces of all the other characters from this series joining forces and rescuing Greg from his dilemma.  I don’t really want to go into too much detail because you really should pick it up and read it, it’s fun and exciting and I found tears in my eyes quite a few times.  I love this series and I’m so happy I’m finally caught up and everything has come full circle.  Of course I can’t wait to read the next one when that comes out as well.


I loved the cover, it was interesting, makes you wonder what it’s about it so you will definitely pick it up to read the blurb on it.  It also has quite a catchy title, anything with ninja’s is okay in my book.  Life is an exciting adventure and I know you will find that in this book, an exciting adventure that will pull at your heart strings. 

No comments: