Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Swimming to Tokyo by Brenda St. John Brown

Swimming to Tokyo
By:
Release Date: July 28, 2014

Description:
The rules for swimming are simple:

Rule #1: There is no lifeguard on duty.

Since her mom died three years ago, nineteen-year-old Zosia Easton’s been treading water. Living at home. Community college. Same old Saturday nights. So when her father breaks the news he’s taken a job transfer—and by the way, it means renting out the house that’s been her refuge—a summer in Tokyo feels like it just might be a chance to start swimming again.

Rule #2: Beware of unexpected currents.

Finn O’Leary has spent God knows how many years trying to drown out his past. Juvenile detention. Bad decisions. Worse choices. He’s managed to turn it around – MIT, Dean’s List, a sexier-than-thou body with a smile to match – at least on the surface. When his mom asks him to spend the summer with her, Tokyo seems as good a place as any to float through the summer.

Rule #3: Swim at your own risk.


Links
spencerhillcontemporary.com

Review:


I love reading about different cultures and locations, anything with traveling is always a plus so when I saw this book I just knew I had to pick it up.  I wasn’t disappointed at all, sure there were a lot of touristy things being done in this book but it wasn’t about that at all, it was about the dynamic between two people who couldn’t be more different but complement one another just the right way.  There really are so many different people out there in this world, and you’d be surprised just who the person’s perfect match is.  I think the author did a great job showcasing both the good and the bad on both of the main characters.
This was a fun; quick and easy read with a little emotion, trauma and of course traveling thrown in for good measured.  I enjoyed reading this book from beginning to end and wasn’t bored for a single second.  We meet Zoisa (interesting name) who is about to go to Japan to live with her dad for a while until school starts back up, talk about an amazing summer travelling abroad.  Well turns out that Finn, a guy she crushed on in high school is also doing the same thing with his mom and they have officially connected themselves to one another to explore the different places in Japan.  It’s cute watching their story grow and it shows you how some people really do need some reassurance that hey, you’re worth it.  Because everyone has something to offer, good or bad you just have to believe in yourself.

I love the characters together because where Zoisa is level headed and so very fresh to all these experiences, Finn is experienced but holding back so as to not scare Zoisa away, it’s sweet the things he does.  He just doesn’t know how sweet they are because in his mind again they don’t belong together, which is said quite a few times.  Regardless of what he thinks she pushes forward without pushing too far.  Their relationship is fun at times, and it’s interesting to see how they hook up, without actually hooking up if you know what I mean, interesting to say the least.

Overall I enjoyed this book, I’m a little afraid of trains in japan now (too many people scare me), I definitely want to go to Harajuku, and I heart Finn and Zoisa together.  The little bit of Polish was sweet too, I love seeing other languages in books, sometimes it’s fun to learn new things.  I have a few Polish people in my life so this is a great nod to them, and of course Japan.  Great book, smooth reading, great writing style from Brenda St. John Brown, can’t wait to see what else is available by her.

Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Spencer Hill Press, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!


No comments: