Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Keep Holding on By Susane Colasanti

Keep Holding On
By:
Release Date: May 31, 2012

Description:
A romantic and empowering book about bullying

Noelle's life is all about survival. Even her best friend doesn't know how much she gets bullied, or the ways her mom neglects her. Noelle's kept so much about her life a secret for so long that when her longtime crush Julian Porter starts paying attention to her, she's terrified. Surely it's safer to stay hidden than to risk the pain of a broken heart. But when the antagonism of her classmates takes a dramatic turn, Noelle realizes it's time to stand up for herself--and for the love that keeps her holding on.


Review:

This book definitely bought a whole new light to people who get bullied, there are different ways to be bullied and to be neglected but overall it is still just that.  Being Bullied and being neglected!.  Susane Colassanti did a great job describing this in her book and really how to deal with it the right way.

We meet Noelle who is constantly being bullied in school by other people, whether it’s about her clothes, her food or just her in general someone is always saying something.  Except for her best friend Sherae.  It all boils down to her being neglected in the first place by her mother of all people, it’s very sad to see the way she is treated in this book.  But I have to say it’s true that some people who don’t need to have kids do have them when people who deserve to have kids, can’t.  It’s sad, but true and just a tragedy.

There is a love interest in this book but Noelle seems to push him away the second he shows interest.  She doesn't believe she deserves him, which is just silly.  But again this book isn't really about the love interest, in fact that plays a barely there minimal part in this whole story.  It's all about the bullying, and I've read a lot worse in other books, but any form of bullying is bad.  When a person is constantly terrorized every day there comes a time where they will break, either the bad will happen or they will be stronger and conquer it. 

Overall this was a good quick easy read with a lot of heart and acknowledgement in it.  I hope you take the time to read it.  And the cover doesn't do this book justice because you look at the cover and think one thing when it's completely something else.
I had to share this little bit of the book to everyone, and I was going to say it's a quote but it's so much more than just a quote (and too long).  I think it's something everyone should read even if they don't read the book and I think it's something everyone should follow, take  control of your life! This mantra can be for any person, any race, any gender, any age at all, this is something we should all live by.  Well put Suasane Colasanti, well put!

Excerpt:
Because I am DONE.

I am done being afraid to say the things that need to be said.

I am done letting a bunch of idiots I won’t ever see again after next year affect my emotions.

I am done being humiliated by things that aren’t my fault.

I am done feeling like I can’t do anything to improve my life.

My life is happening right now. And whether it remains a complete disaster or starts getting better is up to me. I can’t control everything, but there are some things I can change.

We’re products of our choices. I can make a choice to do more than just survive. Which is why I’m going to start shaping my life into the one I want.

(Kindle Locations 1826-1832). .

No comments: