Monday, February 1, 2016

Review: Blocked by Jennifer Lane

Blocked
By: Jennifer Lane
Release Date: October 21, 2014
Series: Blocked #1

Description:
College freshman Lucia Ramirez has a secret crush on Dane Monroe. He’s a tall drink of water — blond, brash, and one hell of a volleyball player. ¡Híjole! Lucia hopes her volleyball scholarship to his school will make him notice her.

Too bad what’s noticeable is Dane’s obvious hatred for Lucia. Her family’s politics contradict everything he stands for. And politics are front and center in both their families. Dane’s mother is about to face Lucia’s father in the race for US President. 

When Secret Service throws them together, Dane can’t deny his frustrating attraction to Lucia’s athletic curves and sweet faith in the world. Amid the intense pressure of college athletics and presidential politics, can opposites not just attract, but overcome overwhelming odds to be together? Or do their differences block their match from the start?

Review:
The concept of this book is great, two presidential candidates’ kids going to the same school, playing the same sport.  Very interesting indeed.  There were even some good lessons throughout the book but I have to say I just could not connect with the characters at all.  I didn’t feel their passion for one another.  With that said, let’s review the book shall we.

We meet Lucia who seems very naïve, maybe too naïve for my taste because it wasn’t totally believable, but I still liked her as a person.  She was very sweet and nice to everyone about her.  Took things too personally and took things wrong sometimes, but that is where the naivetés comes into play.  She’s quite the athlete and with that becomes a different body type than the norm, or what we are supposed to believe is the norm and this weighs heavily in her mind.  She’s stuck with her father’s opponents son, who she’s had a crush on forever and a day, without even meeting him so purely physical.  Don’t get me wrong Dane sounds very attractive, and the man on the cover super yum.  But Dane, eh I don’t know.

Dane is very confident, maybe a little too much sometimes and his Spanish seemed forced and cheesy.  I being of Hispanic decent didn’t feel too conformable with it.  Like those scenes seemed fake.  I don’t know maybe it was the entire political arguments that went back and forth but this wasn’t really my type of book.  Not to say the author didn’t do a good job keeping the story flowing from one minute to the next, I just wasn’t into it.


Overall the book was okay, will I read the second one.  Maybe just to see how it goes and if my onion was right from the first one.  I haven’t read anything from this author before so it was all new to me.  But I will always give anything a second chance.  I did however enjoy some of the volleyball scenes, when they were in it, they were in it to win it.  I loved the determination and stubbornness the two characters had about their sport and their parents, but together it seemed like the odd couple.

Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Psyched Publishing, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: